Wednesday 22 December 2010

Captain Beefheart

Captain Beefheart, aka Don Van Vliet, died last week. I have been a fan  of his stuff for ages, ever since I heard his first album 'Safe as Milk' - a friend had bought it on import from the USA after John Peel played a couple of tracks on the radio. Then came 'Strictly Personal' and 'Trout Mask Replica' which I reckoned were masterpieces but most people couldn't deal with. I remember being really excited about 'Trout Mask Replica' when it was released and playing it to a group of friends who all looked askance at me and questioned my sanity. Beefheart was one of those people who you either loved or just couldn't figure out. A synthesis of blues, jazz, rock, poetry, primitivism and something hitherto unkown from who knows where. And he was nuts.
You can see some of his paintings at Bill Lowe Gallery and get a complete biography, discography, photos etc at The Captain Beefheart Radio Station. Listen to some of his stuff at YouTube. The other two essential albums you should buy are 'Clear Spot' and 'Bat Chain Puller'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously...