Friday 29 January 2010

Happiness is a Beatles Remaster

I pondered slowly and cautiously about whether or not to buy the latest re-issue of The Beatles' albums - how many times am I going to buy the same stuff? I got them in mono, then stereo then on CD. Hasn't McCartney had enough of my money? Moreover, I tend to listen to music mostly in mp3 format via iPod or PC these days so I queried whether it was worthwhile, given that mp3 loses a fair bit of dynamics and so forth. Eventually, however, I was tempted by a limited edition box set for £28 comprising Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road and I am glad I took the plunge. Of course, one has to play them on a proper stereo system with proper speakers to get the full benefit but it is wonderful. The remastering has been done exceptionally well - especially the vocals, and the guitars sound so crisp. And you can hear all the little tweaks and extra bits that were previously lost in the mix. So I've gone ahead and got the White Album as well and I'm about to spin it on the groove machine...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously...