Thursday 22 October 2009

Getting Cultural

El Presidente and myself attended a concert this evening by the Cyprus Symphony Orchestra at Larnaca Municipal Theatre. A programme of Spanish music, including Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez. It was all jolly good although I found the other compositions insubstantial - I'd never heard them before and although they sounded very Iberian I have to say none of them grabbed me. The soloist on guitar was not quite feeling it on the first movement of t'concerto but he really got into it for the next bit. I was a tad surprised to see that he used a little diddy acoustic amplifier, which affected his tone a bit, but maybe this is not unusual these days.

The conductor looked awfully young and he walked like a lanky Groucho Marx. An amusing moment came when he announced they were reversing the running order for the second half. An old lady in the audience responded saying "Embirazi" (which is Greek for "Never mind") in the kind of tone a mother uses when little Jim forgets to post a letter to Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously...