Monday 12 October 2009

The First Time I Met The Blues


When I was about 13 or 14 years old my brother Chris came home with this EP.
We knew Mr Hooker's song 'Dimples' from The Animals' cover version, and other blues stuff from The Rolling Stones' and The Yardbirds' covers. I think it was Fred Yates who had The Animals' album, as well as the first Stones' album. But this is the first encounter with the real thing that I remember. It kind of woke me up to what was what.
Blues records were a bit hard to come by in those days and we mostly learned stuff by 'word of mouth' as it were. Blues didn't get played on the BBC.

The next big thing was John Mayall's Bluesbreakers which led to B B King, Freddie King and so forth. Chris and I subsequently saw Freddie King live at Leeds University and he were fab. But I never got to see John Lee Hooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Previously...